Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fortune telling cup

Not 18th century alas but lovely nevertheless.  And it fits in with my love of all things 'Tea' and has a regency pattern!
Killing some time in a thrift shop the other day I saw this lovely little teacup.  The saucer doesn't match but that doesn't worry me. 
I don't know whether I saw the cards printed on the inside first or the regency style pattern on the outside in a lovely shade of green.  It doesn't matter because the combination was fatal.  Inside the rim is printed "The cup of knowledge".  This had to be a fortune telling cup.  No, I had never heard of them but it made sense.
When I checked out the makers details online I discovered what seemed to be a craze for this kind of teacup in the teens and 1920s with makers including Aynsley and Meakin as well as the one I have from Jackson & Gosling made in 1924.
They even came with little booklets on how to use the cup to tell a fortune. I certainly consider it good fortune in chancing upon it!

5 comments:

  1. I like that the saucer doesn't match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren. They were selling them separately but I thought they looked nice together. I like mismatched items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely charming! I love the mismatched look, and have some of that myself. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortune telling is the art of making future predictions through mystical methods such as consultation with the spiritual world or through natural means such as palmistry, cold reading etc. It is mostly taken up as a profession and indulged in, for commercial gains.
    Fortune Telling USA

    ReplyDelete