Total Pageviews

Friday, March 11, 2011

Book review: Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution

I know this book by Caroline Weber came out five years ago and you have all probably already read it. I'm playing catch up with my reading.
I'm seriously impressed with this book.  I learnt so much more about Marie Antoinette herself and the context in which she lived. 
This is no light weight picture book. In fact there are remarkably few pictures but they all contribute to understanding how Marie Antoinette used dress to define her role, to escape, to challenge perceptions and how that in turn contributed to the tragedy that overtook her.
This books treats Marie Antoinette with a seriousness that is a revelation. I'm glad I ordered it, it's certainly worth the asking price.
Don't you just love this equestrian portrait of her in trousers by Louis Auguste Brun de Versoix.

No comments:

Post a Comment