Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So what 18th century frocks do you have?

I'd love to know what lovely 18th century wear my readers have. 
I pore over books, blogs and websites devouring images of real and painted dresses and would love to know what you wear, or what 18th century dress you would like to own.
What comes up trumps for you?
A robe à la française with a lovely sacque back?
A robe anglaise?
A polonaise?
Come on and let us all have a wee orgy of dressiness!
And feel free to be detailed. What kind of material, colour and trim. Include links to images if you have some you are passionate about.

Tell me, tell me do!

7 comments:

  1. I'm running low on the 18th c. costumes - I have left a pet en l'air and a taffeta petticoat to go with. I'm working on a Robe a l'Anglaise right now, and the plan is to polonaise it up in the back, over an open-weave striped petticoat. Also a 1797 wrap-front gown in the works, made of dotted swiss voile. Aside from that, I've either cannibalised or sold any other 18th c. items, which is quite dismal, really, I miss them :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you can bear to part with them after all that hard work. But I look forward to pics of the Robe a l'Anglaise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my very favorite has to be my silk brocade sacque back gown. Not only was it a Christmas gift from my beloved husband, and one that he sacrificed to give me, but it is gorgeous beyond words, fits me like a dream, and was unanimously touted as the most beautiful gown at the Twelfth Night Ball this year! I feel like a well, a beautiful 18thc. duchess when I wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's the one in your profile pic I can understand why! It's truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the frock I wear is not what you have in mind!
    Good to have you following my blog.
    Regards, Le Loup.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the one in my profile pic is a frock coat, which is different from a frock. My frock is a work frock, pull-over shirt type. These were used right through the 18th century by farmers & labourers & some seamen through into the 20th century. In the 20th century though they added frocking to the chest & shoulder areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Le Loup, I like frock coats of all kinds. And I like the way women have always adapted men's styles to suit themselves.

    ReplyDelete