Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ooooo a wig pin!

Have you ever heard of a wig pin? 
Not a hair pin such as you'd use to secure your wig but a decorative type thing.
I certainly imagined 18th century women would put decorations of all kinds in their hair but haven't see anything that was described as a wig pin before.
In this case an antique English silver paste wig pin from around 1750 according to the description.  And the design is said to represent a stylised comet!  I'm glad the description made that clear because my first instinct was a wrench which is not something I'd imagine in a ladies wig.  (Although I do have a small stick pin which is a jewelled wrench. Yeah don't ask!)
By the by, the paste mentioned is actually ground glass packed into a mould and melted to form little glass jewels. So 'paste' jewellery equals glass!  And I am a bit taken with paste jewellery. But that's another post, so back to the wig pin!
It certainly isn't constucted like any hair pin I've seen. The shaft is thicker for one thing so it doesn't look like a stick pin you might put in your clothes or even a hat pin.
It could however be placed in a button hole and secured by the projecting top end as well as the bottom of the shaft.
After some Google searching I came across an item on Isis Wardrobe blog about an item she bought on eBay also described as a wig pin. But I have to agree with her. It looks more like a hat pin.  And it's very different from this little comet pin. 
If you can shed any light on historical wig pins I would LOVE to hear from you! So don't be shy!
If you are the owner and would like me to take the picture down please email me and I'll oblige.

3 comments:

  1. Do a search on eBay and you'll find a couple more wig pins, similar construction and similar era!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a set of new, 'faux diamond' 'wig jewels'! They have small metal 'corkscrew' bases, and you just twist them into your wig. They are remarkably secure, and 'un twist' easily as well! They catch the light and sparkle, and I get tons of compliments when I wear them in my 18thc. wig! I got them at a discount store (sets of 6---I bought 2), for less than $5. a set! LOVE THEM!

    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    www.thecountryladyantiques.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the ones you mean Mary. I bought some a good while back at a discount store. I wonder what I did with them. They looked so cute I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete