Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Historical 'dos' I'd like to have attended

Often when I read historical books I think, "ooh I'd like to have seen that!". Which got me thinking about which historical events I'd like to have attended.
And goodness there are so many to choose from. 
You could of course, attend the Marriage Mart at Almack's or the Assembly Rooms in Bath (it cracks me up that the Assembly Rooms there are in Bennett Street) or take the waters in the Pump Room. 
You could attend a coronation, a hot air balloon ascension, the Queen's Drawing Room or any number of other events.
For me, number one would have to be the Duchess of Richmond's Ball on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo. I know it's not 18th century but I can't help it.  I've read a lot about it and would love to have seen it, even as a fly on the wall. (The Battle Waterloo fascinates me - but the blood and guts would have been hard to handle.)
Number two would be one of the gambling parties held by Marie-Antoinette or frankly any other titled or wealthy lady.
Number three would be one of the Devonshire House Galas for the Whigs.
Number four would be Venice during the 18th century.
I'd also like to have seen the coronation of Elizabeth I and the Armada but I'm wandering off century badly now.
So if you could get into your time machine or a DeLorean DMC-12 with appropriate modifications and travel back, what event in the 18th century or Georgian history would you like to watch or be a part of?

No comments:

Post a Comment