Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Walking stick citing

I've been reading Amanda Foreman's "Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire" and lo and behold, a walking stick reference caught my eye.  
James Hare, a friend of Georgiana's wrote a satire on life at Chatsworth called "A Rational Day in the Country" in which he mentioned the ladies walking outside "with the help of a long Pole with a spike in the end of it (to throw over their shoulders or stick into any gentleman's foot who has the honour of accompanying them)...  Bearing in mind the satire, I must admit I hadn't thought of shouldering my walking stick. However I am sure one can do it in a genteel fashion and hopefully not poke someone's eye out.
Not that I particularly wish to emulate the Cavendish ladies. Far too tiresome what with the strangling of the English language and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment