And so in spite of having doubts about my ability to wear a boned corset comfortably I decided to see if:
a. I could make one
b. it would be comfortable enough to wear
c. it would not be a complete shemozzle.
Gosh I do love a challenge.
So I thought I would start off with a commercial pattern since drafting a pattern from a little picture is a bit too much of a challenge.
Oh and do feel free to shudder with horror as you read. Some of you I know are pretty awesome in the corset department but I'm not a re-enactor, so authenticity isn't important. In fact the only important thing is that I have fun making it.
So Butterick B4254 it is - mostly because it has THE LOOK and a front lacing version which I will need as I don't have a ladies maid to lace me up. Although it would have been better if it had the spiral lacing but maybe I could work that out instead of that criss cross rubbish the pattern shows which must be much more difficult to lace.
And I totally get the mock-up thing but my mock ups need to be a bit more complete than many others may need to do. There was just no way I could measure up those pattern bits and work out if it would fit without sewing it almost to completion.
And gee I love the bits of information pattern companies manage to leave out and the ambiguities in the patterns. Like where certain boning channels have been cut short in the front panel. Grrr.
I used the remaining material from my Quasi-18th century dress, a heavy weight calico and purchased boning in the fabric casing.
Anyway I made it up - well up to the point where I realised it would be too big, but that's Butterick all over for you.
But the big thing was that I enjoyed it, I really did!
I actually found it rather soothing - although I am glad I tied off the threads as I went. And I don't regret using pretty fabric because I've found that unless a thing is appealing to my eyes I can't be bothered. As a darling friend of mine once said, "there is NO excuse for ugly".
So I am readying myself to have another bash - this time a smaller size.
This time I will also use two layers of canvas (bought from my favourite artist supplies store) and sew the channels rather than sewing on that material casing I bought the commercial boning in.
And I've bought industrial strength cable ties to give them a go.
And I plan... wait for it..... to sew my own eyelets! I don't like metal ones and the cheap ones obviously would pull out so that'll keep me busy.
Totally mad. Barking!
Have a nice weekend.