Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

18th century portrait progress

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while will remember I decided to do an 18th century style portrait to put in an old oval wooden frame I bought at a flea market.
I overworked my first attempt so I decided to start again. I have kept the overworked one within eye shot to hopefully remind me to walk away instead of pushing on when things are NOT working out.
Since I have no one to sit for me, I have used one of my favourite portraits as a guide - the lovely Mary Robinson by John Hoppner.  Indeed 'there is something about Mary'!  Might as well use the best as a reference. 
And I am pleased with my progress to date.  Like Mary she is not, but she is a recognisably 18th century lady.  Still a way to go but I'm getting there.
Perhaps I will even get around to my dream of painting myself in 18th century style.  

4 comments:

  1. I often model (in costumes) for various artist groups around town. This is as good or better than several of the artists that do the work ups I've seen. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Carolyn. I really appreciate your encouraging words - they're a great boost!
      I've been exploring your blog! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. What a marvelous idea to paint yourself in the 18th century style. You and Mrs. Robinson have rather similar faces, so you may be closer to your self-portrait thank you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha why thankyou Mr Richardson. 'Tis pleasant to be thought so.
      I very much enjoyed your improving novel 'Clarissa'.
      And though you could hardly have foreseen it being made into a movie, I have never been able to look at Sean Bean as anything but sinister since!

      Delete