Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hair of a great 18th century BIGness

I'm lucky enough to have two 18th century style wigs, both of which I bought some time ago.
I wasn't going to post about them until I had my whole outfit together - stays, chemise, dress etc etc but hell that could take forever!
So I'll tell you about my wigs! 
The first was a Mrs Lovatt wig (not at all like Helena Bonham Carter's) I bought online from a costume shop and I have to say for an inexpensive costume wig it was pretty good. That's it below. It cost about $30 and is the one I'm wearing in my profile picture.
It really is very like the promotional picture after you do a little styling. It didn't need much.
It came with good side curls (done up with bobby pins) and ringlets. I think it makes a delightful 'wicked lady' type hairstyle.
I could probably tease it out a bit to make it bigger but then why not have another wig?! 
And what's bigger than a truly big hedgehog style? 
Like the wigs Marisa Berenson wore in 'Barry Lyndon' and Jane Seymour in 'The Scarlett Pimpernel' which I have posted about before.
It's the hedgehog style that really shrieks 18th century to me. Jane Seymour damn you, I want a BIG wig. 
So I went searching and bought one from 'An historical lady' and it's a winner.
It is a remarkably light wig and pretty comfortable to wear and I normally hate the way wigs feel. 
This wig is in fact very, very, very tall and would have been beloved of Monsieur Leonard - the perruquier to Marie-Antoinette. But it smooshes* down (technical term for making smaller) really, really well. I like my hedgehog style to be good and wide.
It was quite a bit more expensive than the Mrs Lovatt wig but it really is great BIG hair, not at all heavy and I'm very happy with it. 
And it's much more impressive in real life than it is in the photo (which I took with my phone cos I couldn't find the camera). 
I hope you like my wigs!  Can you guess what my next post will be about????  
Yep - wig stands! 
*(Foofing, on the other hand, is a technical term for making BIGGER!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for mentioning my wigs! You look amazing in it! I love the honey color on you too. I now offer the wig in chestnut brown as well.
    I don't at all mean to wave my own flag, but if I hadn't made it I never would have know it was a wig!
    I really appreciate your kind words, and hope you enjoy wearing it for many years at many wonderful 18thc. events!
    Happy Christmas~
    Mary
    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I do love it. I wanted a hedgehog wig from the moment I first saw one - think it was probably the Scarlett Pimpernel. Now I just need to get the rest of my act together and get the rest of my costume sorted! Cheers

      Delete