Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

When is an 18th century wig stand not a wig stand?

I posted recently on my research into 18th century wig stands because I am attempting to make a wig stand more fitting for my 18th century style wigs (link to post) than the usual polystyrene head from the bargain shops.
And I found some very elaborate stands described as 18th century wig stands but for the love of Mike I could not work out how a wig was perched on a stand like this!
And as it turns out they weren't! 
These misleadingly called wig stands were not for standing your wig on. 
They did in fact, hold a small basin and perhaps some wig powder and stood in front of a mirror so you could adjust and primp your 18th century wig while dressing. 
I am indebted to Buffalo Architecture and History for clearing this up for me because I was stumped as to how a wig could be placed on them. A bowl yes, a wig no! Yay for research on the web! And yes I am still working on said wig stand but Christmas kind of pushed everything back a little.  Hope you all had a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes for a 'belated'

    MERRY CHRISTMAS !

    Greetings from the Périgord,
    karin

    p.s.
    by the way - in the old day they were called "wash stands" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin
      Well that makes sense.
      And I guess it evolved into the kind my Grandma had which was like a small dresser with a marble top and the ewer and basin stood on that with a cupboard underneath.

      Delete