Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A lovely new vintage store and a puzzling thing

I came across this puzzling item at Maudies Millinery the new vintage store I discovered just the other day.
The question is, "what is it?".  
Maudie is as stumped as I am (and ignore the bow on top). 
It looks to be part of something bigger - perhaps a loom of some kind???  
There is a little metal thingamy along the bottom that looks like it guides the thread (which is loose - not a mercerised thread).  And I'm guessing those spaces along the bottom of the wood could be where some kind of gear wheel may have moved it backward and forward.
If you know what it is please let me know.  There is a growing group of us who are keen to know.
Now back to Maudies - she has all sorts of vintage loveliness packed into her little store. There are lovely vintage hats and all sorts of fabric trims, flowers, beautiful buttons, old brooches, feathers, shoes, a lovely old lace flapper style dress and that's not all!
Wait for it - Maudie teaches millinery - yay!  So I am going to learn how to make hats which makes my heart sing!  I've wanted to do this for ages.
Check out Maudies Millinery facebook page.

Oh and HAPPY 2013 - I hope it's kind to you and yours!

4 comments:

  1. It's probably some kind of weaving shuttle. I've never seen one that looked just like that, they're usually more canoe-shaped, but it looks like that's what it's meant for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassidy. Yes it does look like some kind of weaving shuttle - and the thread reminds me of threads used to make braid and trims.
      We'll get to the bottom of it!
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Another very interesting piece! Never saw it before!

    Wishing you and yours a good, healthy and HAPPY NEW YEAR! May it be filled with inspiration and lots of unusual and special finds!

    Warmest greetings,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin,
      We'll find out what it is eventually! Thankyou for the kind wishes!
      Cheers

      Delete