Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Some more favourite 18th century portraits

I don't have the energy for anything but hat making and autumn cleaning at the moment so here are some portraits I like for one reason or another.
The first is of course John Hoppner's Mary Robinson - also known as the character she played on the stage - Perdita.
I love everything about this portrait. It has drama and yet at the centre of it there is a very serene Mary, gazing rather pensively out at the world.
Then of course there is this one of a young woman originally thought to be by Jean-Etienne Liotard. More recently experts have considered it to by an unknown 19th century artist emulating Liotard's style. Whoever the artist was they certainly produced a lovely picture.
Very different to the first but again the eyes get to me. And I love her turban and pearls. Still very 18th century but a pleasant change to the standard hairstyle or hat pictures. I just wish I knew more about her. 
Then there is John Smart's miniature of Mrs Russell which is incredibly delicate. I love her beautiful green dress with the fine lace. Green is not a colour I see often in portraits. Mrs Russell hardly looks old enough to be married, but then I think that about a lot of the young Mum's I see out with their children. Such a beauty probably married in her first season!

3 comments:

  1. It must be amazing to live in major cities of the world like London and New York where you can go and see so many lovely paintings. Gotta love the WWW for making so much possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The young lady in the second portrait in your post is Belle, Dido Elizabeth (1761-1804). Here is an article explaining who she was. Link: http://www.blackpast.org/gah/belle-dido-elizabeth-1761-1804
    I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

    There is also a film by the name of "Belle" written and directed by Amma Asante. It's quite a film gem.

    ReplyDelete