Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

Another day, another hat, another mistake

I'm currently working on a blue parasisal hat, which is woven from the sisal plant. 

It's a lovely fine weave, dyed a light denim blue which I plan to trim with coffee coloured lace. 
I've used sizing on the crown to make it firm, as the parasisal is so soft it would easily get misshapen otherwise. 
I've left the edge of the brim unbound because I like the rough fraying. The lace is antique and fragile so I'll have to glue it and hope for the best.
I've had a fight with the grosgrain hatband and have glued and pulled it off three times - for various reasons. The parasisal being very soft and pliable makes things a bit fiddly. Hopefully I have it right this time.  Well it's handy to make every mistake in the book, it means you learn a lot.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is going to look amazing when it's finished - I'd love a hat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging comments! I've hit a rut in the road so it's going to have to be a little different. Ah well I knew the vintage lace was fragile whenI started but I couldn't resist using it. It's such a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete