Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wittering on about the 1910s, 20s and 30s, must have pith helmet, on safari

I have been well and truly bitten by the teens, 20s and 30s bug.  Not just cloches, hairstyles and flapper fashions but the whole history of the era.
I watched a TV program recently on 'The History of Safari' with Richard E Grant which was fascinating. (Not killing animals, I'd rather photograph them!) This naturally ties in to the period as does my love of 20s and 30s travel related memorabilia. 
The heyday of world travel, if you were rich, was that period between the two world wars.  And I love the clothes and paraphenalia that go with it!
This however presents a problem costume-wise.  I am not a suitable shape for 20s fashions.  I am more a 50s shape.  So I tend to wear 20s hats with modern clothes so at least I can enjoy that aspect. 
Recently I wore my black horse hair and lace cloche with a long straight modern black skirt and a tight fitting pullover, over which I wore a short tunic dress with a balloon bottom. I completed the look with my American Duchess Pompadour shoes.
I ended up with a rather Paul Poiret look. 
And it worked. 
But back to 'The History of Safari', which reminded me of the series 'The Flame Trees of Thika' which starred Hayley Mills and Holly Aird and was set in the years just before WWI in Kenya.
I would rather like an outfit like the one Hayley wore in the series when they went on safari. (I could wear it in winter.)
Anyway this, not unnaturally, led to a desire for a pith helmet. I bought said pith helmet but it got badly crunched in the mail on the way from India.  Very sad looking when it arrived.
I am however trying to reconstruct the cork interior so I can get some use out of it. All 50 something pieces of it. I like a good jigsaw!
Perhaps with a veil over it like this lady on the camel. That should disguise the worst of the creases which I don't think will disappear. I don't mind her outfit either!
Hayley's outfit is a bit like the one Meryl Streep wore in 'Out of Africa'. 
And THAT HAT!  YUMMO!
I'm still working on my pink one, still going in and out all the picots on the grosgrain ribbon around the brim. 
As always too many projects, not enough time. 
So do you wear a mixture of vintage and modern pieces? 
What sort of items?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what "shape" you are, but rest assured that whatever shape you may be, there were women of the era that were shaped just as you are, and they dressed the style. Therefore, you are definitely suitable for the fashions of the 1920's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Historical Ken, Thankyou you are very kind and very correct. Yes, rationally, I know my sisters in the 20s were all shapes and sizes, but like Millie (Thoroughly Modern) I sometimes wish my beads would hang straight. ; )

      Delete