Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Richard found and a grrrrr!

When Richard the well beloved's* body was found last year in a council car park in Leicester, England I was as rapt as the rest of you.
I mean the chances of finding his remains were goodness knows what but lo and behold they found Richard III. 
I thoroughly enjoyed the two TV programs I watched on the topic.
A big high five to Philippa Langley who tracked him down and wouldn't give in and kept fighting to discover his whereabouts.
I am sad there is an argument about where he should be buried but the courts will decide that.  Leicester seems appropriate as it is where he has lain all these years but I get the York connection too. Although I don't think I'd consider I had much right if I were one of the distant relatives fighting that challenge.  The King belongs to the country and its people. 
HOWEVER we now come to my GRRRRRR of the title.
They did a wonderful job doing the facial reconstruction.
But for pity sake, what the hell is going on with those eyes? 
They make him look cross-eyed!
It doesn't matter which way I look at that bust he still looks cross-eyed!

You'd think someone would have said "Geez Louise the eyes aren't right! He's the King, fix them!"
OK I've got that out of my system now, so you can all resume normal programming.
Thankyou.
* Yeah I know some of you will still be Richard III haters but what the heck, he was called well beloved by the people of York which tells me there is another side to the story so assiduously pedalled by the Tudors, who did a real dirty PR job on him to bolster their own snatching of the throne. Encourage Shakespear to write a play about and voila you have the legend we have been encouraged to believe. Perhaps he did connive at the murder of the princes, I don't know but that's another story!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Fabulous post! We saw the documentary last year and loved it! Would love to see a follow up one on the much-maligned Richard. (I confess I find the forensics and the science fascinating). The whole story is so sad...Isn't he truly a nice, kind looking man? One wonders how different history may have been had he lived...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's incredible isn't it!
      Well Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard would have all had vastly different lives for a start! ; )

      Delete
  2. LOL, so true! Everyone sure could have done without Henry VIII (ugh) of course, except, well, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete